Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Introducing Connected Education

Source: http://nickapedia.com/2010/09/30/vision-of-a-creator-the-silent-revolution-in-technology/
Source: http://nickapedia.com/2010/09/30/vision-of-a-creator-the-silent-revolution-in-technology/
Recently I had my first Back to School Night as an administrator and I was excited about a few minor changes that were taking place. (Click here to read about this in a previous post.)   One of the changes I was most excited about having our first ever Student Ambassadors be a part of our back to school night.  The students were to introduce teachers and discuss how they overcame difficulties during a class or talk about a challenging and exciting project students should be looking out for.  When these students were selected they were extremely excited.  They were filled with pride and smiled ear to ear as they entered my office and I handed them a permission slip that needed to be signed by their parents.  At the bottom of the permission slip I made it a requirement for the students to reflect on their experience.  I did this for three reasons, to reflect, connect, and inspire.

Student Reflection:
Most of the time we ask students to reflect after they have done something wrong, we rarely ask them to stop and take a few minutes to reflect after being successful.  All of our students were extremely successful, they shared favorite moments from last year in school, they provided parents with helpful hints on how to navigate a new grade level successfully, and even provided a laugh with an inside story about a teacher.  Many of the students wrote down what they would say and practiced several times at home in front of parents or even in front of a mirror and I wanted them to see how this hard-work and preparation lead to success.  I was hopeful they would come to realize that even if they were nervous they are capable of controlling their fear and overcome it.

Student Connection:
My school is a place where students and teachers are passionate about learning and growing.  It is a place where you will see teachers go out of their way to help students on both a personal and academic level.  It is a place where once new ideas are shared teachers and students are both eager to try something new.  I realize how lucky I am to be in a school that values new ideas, and I want to help both the staff and students see beyond the walls of the classroom.  A first step in accomplishing this goal was to post Student Ambassador reflections below.  I am asking readers to please leave comments for these tremendous students to show them how powerful it can be to connect with educators and students outside of their school.  They have not had much experience connecting with 'outsiders' and I would be grateful for them to have this experience.

Student Inspiration:
Once students realize they have an audience outside of the school that is interested in his/her Student Ambassador experience, I am hoping a few students become inspired to share something they are personally passionate about online.  Connecting about a school assignment the Assistant-Principal assigned is one thing, but connecting with others about your passion is quite another.  I am hopeful students are inspired to share their passion with others in a positive way online.  If they are able to do so it will change the way they learn and grow exponentially, I know it did for me.

Skyler's Reflection

Mikey's Reflection


Grace's Reflection


An's Reflection


Jack's Reflection


Dayton's Reflection


No comments:

Post a Comment