Monday, October 7, 2013

Grace's Reflection on Back to School Night

Dear Mr. Fritzky,

The moment I found out I was selected to be Student Ambassador, I was honored and thrilled. I felt honored because my teachers selected me, out of all the students in my grade, to speak on their behalf. I was also happy because I loved my new title, Ambassador. 

Over the weekend I had to write my speeches. At first I had no clue what to write. Then, I just started to remember what I learned from each teacher and all the fun projects we were assigned. After that, writing each speech was a breeze and I completed the task quickly. When we got back to school, we had to share our speeches with the other ambassadors and teachers. I felt very comfortable and confident speaking in front of them. The day before back to school night, I practiced in front of my family. I stuttered on some words, but practiced more and got the hang of it. 

Finally, it was back to school night. As I made my way to school, I started to worry about everything that could go wrong. Maybe I would mess up or make a mistake. When I looked out into the crowd and saw all the eyes waiting for me to speak, I had some butterflies. Each teacher we wrote about spoke first and then introduced us. I heard my name called and I stood up. I took the microphone and started to speak. With every word, I became more comfortable and confident. By the end of the night, I had finished my speeches and I was proud of myself. I loved being Student Ambassador and I hope I will be asked to do it again next year.

4 comments:

  1. Public speaking is hard, but I am sure you did well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fab opportunity to get involved in representing your school and sharing what makes it unique and special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace, thank you so much for sharing how you felt before and during your speech. I know a lot of students would get a lot of comfort knowing that once they start the nerves can go away.

    I am featuring this post on Comments4Kids.com tomorrow as the blog post of the day.

    Mr. C
    NoelTigers.com
    Comments4Kids.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grace--what a great description of how being prepared really matters and how speaking in front of others can be a wonderful experience. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete