Monday, October 27, 2014

Do more...Continue to...Do less...

One of the most important aspects in education is developing a growth mindset.  This doesn't mean taking what you have done in the past and throwing it away for some new idea that is now suddenly in-vogue.  For me, having a growth mindset means reflecting on what you have done in the past and designing a way you can improve on past performance for the benefit of students.  So here is my list of Do more of...Continue to...Do Less of...


Do More...

Put it in Writing

This year I tried to meet with grade level teams as often as I could.  These meeting helped to gain a collective vision on writing samples, disseminate school information, develop helpful teaching strategies, listen to concerns of teachers and much more.  I tried to keep these meetings as informal as possible so teachers felt comfortable bringing up concerns or issues they might have.  As the year went on there would be occasions where grade levels would have a different interpretation of what I was saying.  This may have come from different people interpreting information in different ways, or I wasn't as clear in one meeting versus another.  This coming year I will do my best to create a paper and digital agenda for teachers to access to ensure everyone is on the 'same page' throughout the year.

Push Send

I just looked at my blogger and I have 10 blog posts stuck in 'draft'.  I wanted to come back to them and add quotes, pictures, more details etc., but never got back to these posts.  This upcoming year I will push publish and not worry as much about the details of my posts as much as sharing the learning and ideas in our school.  As much as I tell others to not allow perfect to be the enemy of great, it is clear that in this case I fell victim to that very phrase.  I just need to push publish.  Thanks Jon Harper for being an ongoing inspiration.

Highlight the Great

There are so many amazing things going on in my school!  Everyday I am amazed at the talented teachers we have who to deliver instruction in such a unique and meaningful way to their students, and I am blown away by the ideas students have to solve problems and improve their skills.  Many of these students have a schedule that is jam-packed from the moment they wake up to the moment they go to sleep, and are still able to perform wonders both in and out of the classroom.  This year we are going to have an assembly once a month, Byram Highlight, to acknowledge their greatness.  Thanks Jimmy Cassas for showing me, we should never apologize for acknowledging greatness.


Continue to...

Visit Classrooms

In order to know more about the great things taking place at my school, and even somethings that might need to change, I need to spend more time in classrooms.  Last year I felt I did a decent job of doing this, but my goal is for my default position to be, 'In a Classroom'.  Instead of people feeling they need to find me in the office, I hope they search classrooms or the halls for me.  Thanks Patrick Larkin.

Make Positive Phone-Calls Home

Last year I called a great deal of parents to share with them something amazing their son or daughter had done at our school.  This year I have created a spread sheet with every student listed and I am crossing students off one by one every time I am able to place a positive phone call home.  My goal is to reach EVERY student in the school by the end of the year.  These students show up for 180 days of school and I don't think it is too much to ask each of them to get just one phone call from me. Thanks Tony Sinanis for this idea!


Do Less...

Allow my Schedule to be Interrupted

The clock is what runs the day of a school, it is all powerful and waits for no one.   Too often I would allow meetings to run past their allotted time, and tell others I had time to meet with them when I already had scheduled another event like a classroom observation, a walk about, or just visiting classrooms.  Of course there are always going to be emergencies and I know I cannot control when/where they pop up.  But I need to do a better job os saying things like, "I would love to meet with you could you please schedule an appointment" so I can keep myself and our school on schedule.

Be in my office

The amazing thing with laptops is they work anywhere.  I am going to try and answer emails, type reports, and other office-work outside of my office and in the halls of our school.  I'm not sure if I need a mobile desk, or one I could use while standing (that would be awesome) but I am going to start this week.

Be the Focus of Faculty Meetings

Too many times last year I stood in front of the faculty and spoke.  It doesn't matter what they subject is I need to have our staff doing more at our faculty meetings.  My short list is for teachers to:

  • Be the deliverers of information
  • Work in cooperative groups 
  • Create lessons to improve their craft
  • Collaborate and discuss with colleagues

So this is my list, and I'll work hard to try and stick to it.   I know there are many other ways I can improve, but for now this is what I'm going to focus on.  What is one thing you would Do more...Continue to do...Do less...?


No comments:

Post a Comment